W.R. Angell Natural Science and Peta Williams Memorial Biology and Environmental Science Scholarships
The W.R. Angell Natural Science and Peta Williams Memorial Biology and Environmental Science Scholarships are merit-based awards for degree-seeking Northwestern Michigan College students. These two opportunities are awarded together by the Science-Math Academic Area.
- The W.R. Angell Scholarship is awarded to students with a declared natural science major: Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Geology, Physics, or other related natural sciences.
- The Peta Williams Scholarship is awarded to students with a declared major in Biology or Environmental Science.
To qualify for these opportunities, applicants must:
- have and maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better
- complete science courses with 3.0 GPA or better (returning students must have established an NMC record in the natural sciences)
- enroll in 6 or more credits
- continue making satisfactory academic progress on an approved model schedule and/or transfer guide
- work with an academic advisor who is a science faculty member
First year students have the option to submit reference letters from two high school teachers (SAT scores and a recent high school transcript must be on file)
Returning NMC students have the option to submit two reference letters from NMC faculty members.
(change effective as of March 26, 2020)
The maximum annual award of $2,000 will be split between fall and spring semesters and prorated for students who enroll in less than 12 credits. The award is limited to the cost of tuition, fees, and books, less any other tuition restricted financial aid.
Recipients are eligible for a second year renewal upon application if meeting award requirements. Recipients must take at least two science courses during the renewal year.